Go back to the map

The bank palace

Koordinatės: 55.25331485463522, 22.286424416008003
Objekto adresas: Dariaus ir Girėno street 7/81, Taurage, Lithuania
Savivaldybė: Bezirk Tauragė

The bank building in Tauragė is one of the most famous examples of inter-war architecture, which survived in small towns.
The Law on the Bank of Lithuania was adopted in 1922. The Bank of Lithuania, establishing its divisions all over Lithuania, needed buildings and thus the tender for the project of the Bank of Tauragė was announced in 1934. The tender was won by famous architects Mykolas Songaila (1874-1941) and Arnas Funkas (1898-1957).
The representational building that they designed for the city centre, at the corner of Dariaus ir Girėno Alley and Vytauto Street, not only enhanced the city, but was also visible for anyone passing by on the international road.
The construction of the majestic, solid and ornate building, featuring neoclassical characteristics, began in 1935 and costed more than 400 000 litas. The construction works were led by a contractor from Kaunas, employing 15-20 workers. The process of construction was rather primitive, featuring artisan methods and handiwork. In his report to the Minister of Interior, the Senior Constructions Inspector wrote: 'The luxury and splendour of the palace stands out of the general landscape of Tauragė. The public attitude towards such expensive and luxurious construction is clearly negative. Farmers will feel uneasy stepping into the white palace, decorated with artificial marble, and it was pointed out that: 'the Bank of Tauragė will probably be the most luxurious bank of all the rest in the province. This luxury is a mismatch with the spirit of the period.'
Yet the bank was built and has blended in well with the new architectural landscape of the city. The entrance is decorated with a monumental gate with columns, creating an impression of entering some ancient sanctuary. The metal openwork fence is decorated with national ornaments. The magnificence and luxury of the building is emphasized with mica façade, which glitters in the sunshine. In order not to lose the shine, the façade used to be washed with soap and water every year. The semi-circular wing featured the banking hall, surrounded by a terrace and a colonnade on the second floor from the yard side.
During World War II, the building was slightly damaged. After a renovation, in 1957 it became a hotel-restaurant, named Tauras. The restaurant was famous all over Lithuania for the 'Auroch horns' decorating the hall. These horns, which were actually the horns of an African buffalo, were surrounded by all kinds of stories. Currently the famous 'auroch horns' are kept at Tauragė Regional Museum.
In 1977, the building was returned to the bank and has been hosting various banks ever since, although their names and shareholders used to change from time to time.

 Compiled in 2018

Submitted: Tauragės rajono savivaldybės Birutės Baltrušaitytės viešoji biblioteka | Respublikos g. 3, LT - 72252, Tauragė | tsvb@tauragevb.lt | http://www.tauragevb.lt

The object available in the following routes
 
  • Description:

    Tauragės banko rūmai : [skaitmeninė nuotrauka] / Žaneta Maziliauskienė. - Tauragė, 2018. - 1 vaizdas

    Source: Tauragės rajono savivaldybės Birutės Baltrušaitytės biblioteka, Informacijos skyriaus fondas

    Publisher: Tauragės rajono savivaldybės Birutės Baltrušaitytės viešoji biblioteka

    Contributor: Tauragės rajono savivaldybės Birutės Baltrušaitytės viešoji biblioteka

    Type / format: Skaitmeninė nuotrauka / JPG

    Rights: CC BY

    Tauragės banko rūmai
  • Description:

    Banko rūmai : [skaitmeninė nuotrauka] / Žaneta Maziliauskienė. - Tauragė, 2018. - 1 vaizdas

    Source: Tauragės rajono savivaldybės Birutės Baltrušaitytės biblioteka, Informacijos skyriaus fondas

    Publisher: Tauragės rajono savivaldybės Birutės Baltrušaitytės viešoji biblioteka

    Contributor: Tauragės rajono savivaldybės Birutės Baltrušaitytės viešoji biblioteka

    Type / format: Skaitmeninė nuotrauka / JPG

    Rights: CC BY

    Banko rūmai