Koordinatės: 55.709756, 21.127383
Objekto adresas: Jūros Street 1, Klaipeda, Lithuania
The huge 5000 m2 building complex, situated at Jūros Street 1 (former Malkų Street 2) is regarded as the major architectural piece on Naujoji Uosto Street. The Register of Cultural Heritage refers to it as the Court and Prison Building, dating back to 1857. After the fire of 1854, in 1857, the Court and Prison complex was allocated a plot on the newly-built Malkų Street at that time and the U-shaped building itself was built in 1862. The central part of the building near the street hosted the trial jury with court institutions on the right and prison cells on the left. As of 1885 the building hosted the Royal District Court. The interior was simple with cellar, corridor and office ceilings featuring metal beams, supporting brick segmental arches. In 1989–1899 the complex was expanded by adding a separate sector for women and workshops on Danė river side. The inner court had some outdoor space for inmate yard time. There also was a new wing with apartments for officers. In the early 20th c. they had sewerage and other conveniences. During the Soviet era the buildings that take up almost the entire quarter hosted the Board of Internal Affairs. Before moving to the new building on Kauno Street, this building also hosted Klaipėda County Chief Police Commissariat, which had a different title than that of the Soviet era, but in essence was the same. In 2015 the building was taken over by VĮ Turto bankas (centralised public property management).