Koordinatės: 55.710213803032545, 21.13268494606018
Objekto adresas: Dane Square, Klaipeda, Lithuania
Klaipėda Stock Exchange roots go back to the 18th century. In the middle of this century trade through the Klaipėda port intensified, the number of merchants increased, and these associated into the corporation, which had a significant impact on the city‘s economy and culture. Klaipėda‘s merchants at the bridge of the River Dangė had their center – the Stock Exchange, which was not only the place for commercial and financial operations, but also the place for leisure time. A new building was constructed because the old one began to wax too tight. Money for this purpose were collected having imposed a special levy for exported goods. The new building in the place of the old one reared in 1777: for the collected funds there was built a new Stock Exchange building of the Fachwerk-style. Later it was rebuilt and stood nearby, on the other side of River Danė, in the current square near the Biržos bridge. Although this octagonal construction of the Fachwerk-style during a fire of 1854 did not burn down, shortly – in 1856 – it was demolished as too restrictive. There was built a much larger brick two-storey building with a turret, which was decorated with a clock, also a shopping center there was located. At that time the Stock Exchange filled the role of the cultural institution as well – there was a reading room, which had about 60 magazines and newspapers in various languages, delivered here from various countries of the world, art exhibitions have been held. Hall of the Stock Exchange building was used by religious communities. Church services were held here by Anglicans, when they did not have church. At merchants‘ request for a time the city telegraph was here located as well. In 1907-1908 the Stock Exchange building was reconstructed, there was equipped especially ornate hall on two floors. There were a lot of sculptures, paintings in it. The apartments were located above, whereas on the first floor shops functioned. It is referred that hall of the Stock Exchange building was a gorgeous and spacious – there sculptures, symbolizing Peace and Justice, were standing, paintings, donated by merchants, were hanging. In the beginning of 20th century the Stock Exchange was renamed the Chamber of Commerce and Industry, because Klaipėda industrialists operated here as well. Continuously reconstructed and widened Stock Exchange building has become a large complex with an inside courtyard and was an important architectural accent of Klaipėda. The Stock Exchange building was destroyed during the Second World War.