Go back to the map
The Tauralaukis Manor
Koordinatės: 55.753154, 21.145959 Objekto adresas: Klaipeda street 5, Klaipeda, Lithuania Savivaldybė: Klaipeda
The manor was first mentioned in 1539 (Germ. Kleine Tauralauken), when the Duke presented it to Michail Jakush, the overseer of Viehoff, as a present. It was at that moment referred to as Tauralaukėliai. The Manor of Tauralaukis minor was established in the 16th century. In the beginning, it was was a complex of two territories. The first part was established in 1539, while the other part was established in 1598. In 1640, it was established under Kulm law. In 1665, the manor was purchased by Antonius Schröder, who married the stepmother of Simon Dach. In 1672, both manor territories were acquired by Johann Lobell, the commandant of Klaipėda. Since then, the two territories were permanently united. The manor has many owners. Following Lobell, the owners were: Gerhard von Renne between 1694 and 1704, Grothus between 1704 and ca. 1730, and Kolb between 1741 and 1840. The Manor Farmstead was situated on the left bank of the Danė River. As of the second half of the 17th century, the present location of the manor was marked on the map as the actual location of the manor. 1757, during the Seven Years' War, some damage was inflicted upon the manor as a result of the Russian Empire invading Prussia. The remaining manor building complex was constructed between the 19th and the beginning of the 20th centuries. The buildings of the farmstead were designed around a rectangular yard. The the mansion, dairy, and smithy were built in the western part of the manor. Outbuildings such as barns and sheds were located on the south-western side of the manor. The southern part was the residential area for workers and servants.
In June of 1802, the Tauralaukis Manor was where the famous Prussian king Friedrich Wilhelm III and his wife Louise met the Russian Emperor Alexander I. It was the first meeting between the two nations since the meeting between Frierich I and Peter the Great. Thus, Klaipėda became the city of royal meetings, which granted it honour and reliability. Historians believe that no other meeting among rulers has never been as long-term and as influential as was this one in Klaipėda between Prussia and Russia. The newly established companionship was a great factor in the victory against Napoleon. A park was built to commemorate the establishment of companionship between the two monarchs, or more specifically, between the two royal dynasties – the Romanov and the Hohenzollern. The pathways of the park were built in the style of English outside architecture: free-form and winding. Oak, linden, buttonwood, pine, and chestnut trees were planted in the park. Decorative shrubs can be found around the circular flower garden, located near the central building of the manor complex. The royal family paid several visits to the manor in 1807. Queen Louise and her children would travel by boat from the city hall, which is presently located on Danės st., to the manor via the Danė River. From 1840 until 1876, the Sperber family were in charge of the manor. During the 19th century, the manor was handed over to someone else quite often. In 1843, Dr. Otto Frierich Reichel established the Garden Society to oversee the new manor park and to promote the culture of decorative horticulture in Klaipėda. In 1829, the Garden Society acquired the rights to function as a corporation and was registered as the owner of the Tauralaukis Park. in 1896, its functions were taken over by the newly established the Fellowship for the Embellishment of the Surroundings of Klaipėda and its Regions and for the Attraction of Foreigners. The fellowship carried out a lot of land development works in Smiltynė, Tauralaukis, and the area of the lighthouse. Kaiser Wilhelm, the German Emperor, visited Tauralaukis in 1890.
In 1900, the fellowship took initiative and constructed a memorial stone in Tauralaukis Minor, which commemorated Queen Louise. Soon after the disbandment of the fellowship, the memorial stone was taken down. Between the 19th and the 20th centuries, a restaurant was open and in operation within the territory of Manor of Tauralaukis Minor. In 1877, a pedestrian walkway was built between Klaipėda and Tauralaukis, which was named Wiener's Promenade. From ca. 1820, small ships started to sail up the Danė River to Tauralaukis. In the years to follow, Klaipėda as well as Tauralaukis became a frequent visiting location of Wilhelm III, Queen Louise, and of the heirs to the throne. After World War II, the mansion outbuilding served as the house of culture and it was also where films were screened.
Submitted: Tauralaukio bendruomenė
The object available in the following routes