Go back to the map
The Kretinga Manor Park Lookout Point
Koordinatės: 55.900793, 21.249432 Objekto adresas: Vilniaus street 20, Kretinga, Lithuania Savivaldybė: Bezirk Kretinga
In 1875, having acquired the manor, Count Juozapas Tiškevičius started the reconstruction of the farmstead and the park. In 1878, three cascade-like ponds were built in the northern part of the park. The pond digging works were based on a project prepared by Jonas Šostakas.
During the implementation of said project, a hill was erected on the right side of the first pond. Its main purpose was to serve as a lookout point, allowing anyone to fully see the pond and the entire manor.
The newly erected hill had a large chestnut tree and was surrounded by an open summerhouse. A spiralling pathway lead to the top of the hill. The Count and his guests used to enjoy long afternoons in the pergola on the top of the hill, overlooking the mansion and the pond, which was a frequent gathering place for swans and row boaters.
Some ethnographers believe that this used to be a location of a castle because some of the locals used to call it Pilale, which translated to castle mound. The old Kretingians mention that this may also be the place where Count Tiškevičius buried his trusty hunting dog. So, to honour his four-legged friend, he built a mound on top of his grave.
In 1990, a cross was placed at the foot of the lookout point. It commemorates the oppression of the inhabitants of the Padvariai village (1940-1953).
Source: Kretingos enciklopedija
Submitted: Kretingos rajono savivaldybės M. Valančiaus viešoji biblioteka
The object available in the following routes