Go back to the map
Koordinatės: 55.724673, 21.160604 Objekto adresas: Klaipeda, Lithuania Savivaldybė: Klaipeda
On the other side of the river from Bachman Manor, there was the Small Meadow and Louise Manor, which belonged to the merchant Wachsen. Louise Manor was established in the eastern part of the city – at the end of Liepų Street, behind the railway in 1783 by the merchant Christian Wilhelm Wachsen. Wachsen's residential house was built near the railway and had arched cellars. The lands of the manor stretched until Dangė river and were referred to as the Great Meadow and the Governor's Meadow (the Small Meadow was situated on the other side of the river, between the city's windmill and the brickyard of Joniškė). Christian Wilhelm Wachsen was born in Kolberg, Pomerania, circa 1747. He moved to Klaipėda in 1773 and, at the age of 26, became a great citizen and joined the Merchants' Guild of Klaipėda. On the property of Louise Manor near Dangė river Ch. W. Wachsen had built a wind oil mill, warehouses and linseed drying premises. At that time Klaipėda was famous among sea traders as the port of the greatest potential and revenue. The major trade revolved around wood, as well as grain and linseed. Ch. W. Wachsen was hoping to conquer the market with linseed. Since the entire coast of the Curonian Lagoon was taken by wind sawmills, preparing wood for exports, Ch. W. Wachsen purchased land near Dangė river, behind the city in order to build his own berth. He had dug a special bay into his land near the great warehouse and windmill, in order to be able to load his production on ships right from the warehouse. In 1779–1781 Ch. W. Wachsen ordered two marine sailships from the shipbuilder Ch. Heinrich. One of them had the capacity of as much as 400 tonnes. A year later Ch. W. Wachsen purchased another marine sailship. In 1800 he had married Louise Witte-Schultze, the daughter of the post and bank director Johann Christian Witte and a very rich widow, thus becoming one of the richest men in Klaipėda. He was a very educated and respected man. In 1802 his home in Klaipėda on Friedrich Wilhelm Street 6-7 hosted a ball, attended by the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm III, the Queen Louise and the Russian Emperor Alexander. Among the greatest works of Christian Wilhelm Wachsen was the restoration of Klaipėda Theatre in 1803.
Submitted: Klaipėdos apskrities viešoji I.Simonaitytės biblioteka | http://www.klavb.lt/lt/
The object available in the following routes