Go back to the map
The Kretinga Manor Park Ponds (II)
Koordinatės: 55.89861642648061, 21.25280811639402 Objekto adresas: Near Parko street, Kretinga, Lithuania Savivaldybė: Bezirk Kretinga
There are 3 ponds that remain in the Kretinga Manor Park. They are located within an 8 acre plot of land, in the valley of the Dupultis River.
During Count Tiškevičius' reign, three cascade-like ponds were built between 1878 and 1880 in the northern part of the park based on the project of Jonas Šostakas. The water ran from the third pond into the second one, and from there it continued into the first pond.
Between 1827 and 1836, Count Dmitrijus Zubovas organised the digging of the second pond just east from the first one. This pond was dedicated to leisurely activities. A park was built there as well.
From 1878 until 1880, under the rule of Juozapas Tiškevičius, the second pond was expanded and the pond bed was covered with stone. A small island was formed in the middle of the pond, leading to which was an arch-shaped walkway. It was named The Island of Love. The Count also ordered to build a hospital at the eastern side of the pond.
The inhabitants of the manor liked to go swimming and rowing in it. The second pond is the biggest of the three ponds, reaching 4.0 acres in size. On the right side bank, near the reinforced-steel walking bridge, lies the Sofija's Stone of Feasts. Cliffs, overgrown with trees, are situated on the southern part of the pond.
A narrow pathway was built between the first and second ponds. It was primarily used for leisurely strolls, but chariots were also allowed to pass through.
In 1925, during the land reform, a part of the land that belonged to the Kretinga Manor was redistributed among the newly established farmers, while the rest of the land was nationalised. The decreased income of Aleksandras Tiškevičius had made it difficult to sustain the manor farmstead, especially the park. The abandoned overflown ponds eventually broke down the mounds and the cascaded pond and waterfall system was ruined. The cascades were not rebuilt during reconstruction works. In 1958, the park was declared a state-protected natural heritage.
Source: Kretingos enciklopedija
Submitted: Kretingos rajono savivaldybės M. Valančiaus viešoji biblioteka
The object available in the following routes